I yearn to be as productive as possible. I want to contribute the maximum to this world. Yet, I feel so far from achieving this objective. Right now I'm a full time student with much free time that just seems to drudge by. This "free time" is being bombarded constantly by either the arrows of uselessness or the shrapnel bombs of aimlessness. The problem is that hardly anything seems worth doing. What can I do that brings a high level of utility to my fellow human beings?
My mind navigates toward the idea of economic production when reflecting on these issues I'm describing. This is how we "make our living," this is what justifies our existence. Thus, we would want the strongest possible justification of our existence. Yet, so many income producing economic roles seem so insignificant. Yeah, we need people to build houses, but what difference is one less carpenter going to make? One less plumber? One less retail worker? Not much at all. And this is the crux of the dilemma: how can all humans attain real significance when the overwhelming majority of formal economic positions are insignificant in the larger picture? And yet the economic activity of these insignificant workers is essential to human survival. It's like the boring brilliance of water. Now how do we overcome this dilemma?! This is what I need to figure out. But don't hold your breath, I've been working on this at some level for about the past nine years. (But it will be amazing once I finally figure it out, no?)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment