Sunday, September 12, 2010

Post #50

Sometimes I feel little motivation to do things . . . such as readings for class or paperwork or whatever it may be. One thing is being lazy about going to the laundermat, but another is not feeling motivated to read an assigned article or selection from a book. I deal with this a lot and I know most other students do also. I don't see this as a situation where one must simply bite the bullet and fulfill their obligations. Instead I the instructors commuting a moral wrong by paying so little attention to the emotions of their students. Why force people to read something the don't want to read? Why not work with them to figure out a plan that feeds of of their intrinsic motivation. My hypothesis (which many others share) is that this strategy will result in much more learning.

Next topic: I spend a lot of time trying to effectively network and figuring out how to realistically transform the world. I figure that if I can't even organize a small group of people to seriously investigate the pressing issues we deal with, then the situation is beyond any amount of knowledge I can gain through the academy. And this is why I can't help my mental energy veering from schoolwork to this stuff--this is what really matters.

Still, I want balance in my life. I want to feel motivated to do my readings for school and also additional readings. I enjoy reading good articles and books and know that the knowledge will help me achieve my objectives. I just wish I could put myself in the optimal environment for my academic advancement. I know there are superior environments to the one I'm in right now. I'm doing just about the best I can change my environment for the better; it's just not easy.

So I'm off now to try to make the best of my time. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment