Thursday, March 24, 2011

Being Overwhelmed

I feel overwhelmed right now. This is no rare occurrence in my life. I remember early in 10th grade writing in my journal that I wanted to do many many things. I couldn't limit myself to one or a few specializations:
I wonder what I will do with my life? It seems that there is not enough time to try all that I want. I don’t want to pick one career. This sucks. I want to do everything I ever wanted to do, see what I accomplish. I want to be #1 in the world. I can’t settle. I need to understand everything.
I wanted to have the world in my hands. I wanted experience everything it has to offer. And indeed I also wanted to be subordinate to no one. At that time I saw the world as inevitability hierarchical and so strove to reach the top of that hierarchy. Now of course I see that there are other ways, ways which will not violate Immanuel Kant's categorical imperative.

I now find myself with a similar feeling. Or rather, the feeling never really went away. I still hold those same yearnings I held almost 10 years ago. I still want the world in my hands; or more accurately, in my head. I feel so many projects invading my brain. I want to do them all. But I can't. Yes, I enjoy this weeks reading for my "Worlds of Work" class; but I also want to work on my Social Progress Network Website; and I also want to just think and try to synthesize everything I know; and I also want to go out and spend time cool people, like those I met at this past StartingBloc Institute for Social Innovation in Boston. I am being pulled in different directions, which results in moving in no direction.

So how do I collect myself? How do I get my mind to focus on one task, while not losing sight of the grander picture? How can I pursue my goals within a healthier state of mind--one devoid of the overwhelming feeling?

2 comments:

  1. You might be interested in some of the stuff I've been reading lately. Infinite Self by Stuart Wilde. Take what jives with you, leave the rest! I see big things in your future. Just start the ball rolling and the rest will tumble into place so fast. Lemme know if there's a way I can help. I'm ready to be involved in some cool projects. I'm sure other folks would be happy to be enlisted too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice. I'll look into that book. I think this is just the way my brain is built. It has its advantages and disadvantages. I'll probably feel much better once I'm done with school.

    ReplyDelete