Sometimes, such as now, I feel as if I'm trying to do too much. I get impatient; I want the world to drastically change now. But I'm thinking that what is really necessary for an optimal rate of progress is that we each do our relatively small part. However, right now, as I'm thinking about this, I'm considering that this approach may not work best. It seems to me that our world needs big noisemakers to bring essential insights to the population's consciousness. Perhaps some changes cannot happen gradually. It seems to me that only by the vehement determination of one or a few individuals can certain fundamental changes be made.
There are alot of systems in the world that can be improved, but it takes a great deal of work to develop an adequately functional superior alternative. And the struggle doesn't end there, the next step is to get human beings to adopt the new method.
So, yes, making systemic changes in the real world is hard work, but the question I started with was that of whether this work is a full time job or something we can each do as we more-or-less go about our normal business. I guess it just depends. However, what's important is to know when to follow which strategy. Not knowing this can get very stressful. You might be putting your all into a project, only to realize that most of your efforts are a waste. Or you might think you have been doing your part for such a long time and that soon enough the big change will come, only to realize that you had not nearly been doing enough. There must be some kind of method for dealing with this with at least a moderate level of accuracy. Maybe I can come up with something.
Tuesday, November 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment