So it's about time for another rant. Since school has ended I've been especially focused on making social progress a reality. I have some fundamentals in mind such as education transformation, the enhancement of public dialogue, ethical consumption, and humanistic workplaces, but it seems so hard to take concrete actions toward the utopia I seek. I don't even know if that utopia is possible. What would it consist of? What would make it so wonderful. So we all have better jobs, are better educated, and are better at addressing collective problems . . . okay, what then? You see, I feel isolated from the people around me. I walk around in New York City and come into visual contact with loads of people, yet have no real interaction with them. In a sense this means that I do not place enough importance on them to even engage in conversation with them. My actions show that I don't give a damn about these people. However, my goal is to make humanity as happy as possible. But I also realistically cannot talk to everyone I see. So how ought I act? Also, what can I do for society? How can I most contribute to it? I don't want to live a fantasy. I'd rather know I'm a failure than falsely believe I'm a success.
I feel as if the core social problem is mental. It's in how humans tend to see the world. It's in their strong tendencies to conform to the pressures pushing them here or there. Those pressures need to be fought. But the evil has to be clearly identified first. What exactly is the enemy?
Sunday, June 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment