Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Intellectual Environment I Seek

Much of the time I'm frustrated because I'm not doing what I want to be doing and can't figure out how to get into that situation I desire. Much of the time I'm torn because I want to do integrative social science work, but also want to produce something concrete of value. The problem with the type of integrative work I want to do is that I will have to study a daunting assortment of studies from a multitude of disciplines in order to achieve the feeling of readiness to produce, which I seek. So this drive to produce now, and this feeling of non-readiness until the far off future, creates a deep frustration within me.

But I think I might have an answer. If I were part of an interdisciplinary group of scholars I would feel much more confident working toward concrete productions now, knowing that they are there to check my work and lead me to the essential related insights from their disciplines. Moreover, this way of doing things would be one of both synthesizing and learning, so I would not feel as if I've ended my learning process in order to write. So this I see as the answer. The problem now is to figure out how to make it a reality. How will I find the scholars needed for this to occur? What will make them want to be part of this? I think I'll be able to figure something out.

No comments:

Post a Comment