Friday, October 2, 2009

Back in Business in New York City

I’m sorry I haven’t been blogging lately. It’s been hard with the big transition I’ve been making. I am now living in New York City and attending The New School. It is quite a change living here compared to San Diego. Here I really feel that I can fulfill my goals. Here there really is opportunity for serious scholarly endeavors--a whole ton of it. So now it’s just a matter of making the right connections and taking the initiative to take the next step when the time is right. I’m still only starting out though. I’ve been here since August 14th and have spent much of the time since just getting settled in. But now that phase is about over and I’m ready to move on to the exciting stuff.

So that’s a little background on my life, but I also wanted to discuss other things. Throughout the life of my blog I’ve been wondering how academic or personal my blog should be. I personally enjoy both types. UnderstandingSociety is my overall favorite blog and is almost purely academic, but I also enjoy Ben Casnocha’s much more personal blog, as well as some middle-range blogs such as The Sociological Imagination and A (Budding) Sociologist’s Commonplace Book, both of which are authored by graduate students. But regardless of the various examples out there, I still do not know where on the Academic-Personal spectrum I want to aim for. Any advice?

(FYI: This was was originally posted on my more academic blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment